Improving Wellbeing with Activity Buddies
We understand that coming into the Leisure Centre for the first time, or coming back after a while can be a little overwhelming; this is why our Activity Buddy Scheme is open to anyone who feels they would benefit from coming in with a friend when using the gym or going for a swim.
By bringing together people who would like to come in with a friend and people who want to be that friend, we are hoping to take any away worries about coming in and improve everyone’s wellbeing.
As a project funded by Sport England, we are able to offer some great benefits to those on the scheme:
- Participants pay only £3.60 for a swim or gym session, Activity Buddies come in for FREE during this session
- As a thank you for supporting someone, Activity Buddies also receive a FREE activity session to come in at another time whenever they like.
- You can come in on this scheme whenever the facilities are open!
Who can take part?
Participants – those who would like to come in with a friend for support
We are welcoming a wide range of people onto the scheme, including those with, but not limited to:
- Covid-related conditions, including long covid
- Mental health conditions
- Reduced mobility
Please note: participants need to be aged 16 or over.
Activity Buddies – those who like to be a supportive friend to someone
Being an Activity Buddy simply involves giving some of your time to come in and support someone who would like to swim or go to the gym.
It does not involve personal training or instructing anyone on how to exercise. Similarly, it does not involve any personal care – it’s essentially being a supportive friend.
Please note: buddies need to be aged 16 or over.
Who can pair up with each other?
We know that everyone has their own unique situations, so we are very flexible with our buddy pairs, for instance:
- Family members or friends can pair up
- Carers/similar can buddy for the person they care for. Even paid carers/similar qualify for the Activity Buddy Benefits
- People can buddy each other; but will need to take it in turns to be the ‘buddy’ and ‘participant’
- You don’t always have to pair up with the same person
If you want to be a participant or would like to be a buddy, but do not have anyone in mind to pair up with – don’t worry - you can still join the scheme. We will try to pair up anyone who joins the scheme individually with someone appropriate and we will check in to see how it goes.
Pre-existing groups are also welcome; please speak to the site coordinator.
How do I join?
Both participants and buddies need to sign up to join the scheme – this is free. When signing up, you will also get a site tour and have a short induction as well as having any questions you have answered.
If you would like to talk to us about the scheme, you can call us on 0330 1099150 alternatively, use our contact form and we will get back to you.
Please note that this scheme is not available during Be Active Sessions.